Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Thing “Now and forever”


Earlier this summer The Thing released a box with 3 CDs and one DVD (Smalltown Superjazz 2008). The material is ”The Thing” (issued 2000), ”She knows” with Joe McPhee (issued 2001), ”Gluttony” (new material, recorded in 2005) and ”Live at Øya” with Thurston Moore (DVD from the Øya Festival in Oslo 2005).
The Thing is Mats Gustafsson (sax), Ingebrigt Håker Flaten (b) and Paal Nilssen-Love (dr), a trio hard to beat.
I don’t own the first two albums, so this box is perfect for me. The Thing jazz the rock and rock the jazz, and when Thurston Moore comes along (one track only) they produce some decent noise too. Great band, great music and great film. Great box!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got this box and set and I can't play the dvd. I guess because of some differing dvd format from Sweden. Anybody else have this problem?

Svenn said...

Works fine in Norway! Not even on the computer?