Sunday, December 28, 2008

Born Broke


I didn't know Peeter Uuskyla until I heard his fantastic double CD with Peter Brötzmann (sax, clar) called "Born Broke (Atavistic, 2008). Drums and reeds make both storm and quiet weathers here. First I heard it on my I-Pod, without knowing all the details about the album, and believed there had to be be other guys than Brötzmann blowing in there too, but he's alone for sure. The titles are really good too: "Dead and Useless", "Born Broke", "Beautiful but Stupid" and "Ain't got the Money". The way to make a party!

Let me list and recommend other albums bought on eMusic for Christmas too:

4 Corners: "4 Corners" (Clean Feed 2007). Adam Lane, Ken Vandermark, Magnus Broo og Paal Nilssen-Love, swing real good. I just have to pay more attention to Vandermark!

Townhouse Orchestra: "Belle Ville" (Clean Feed, 2008). Evan Parker, Sten Sandel, Ingebrigt Håker Flaten and Paal Nilssen-Love. I'm still waiting for the recording of their concert at Molde International Jazz Festival, but I guess I'll have to forget about it.

Earth: "The Bees Made Honey In The Lions Skull" (Southern Lord, 2008). Dark and beautiful rock.

No comments: