Saturday, May 8, 2010

Fred Frith in AAJ


"I don't think I've arrived anywhere yet. I'm still traveling. I use whatever vocabulary is most suited to the conversation I'm having, and I'm certainly not interested in having the same conversation over and over again. Which means that the resources at my disposal are always (hopefully) continuing to develop and evolve, as the need arises."
Check out Nic Jones´ interview with Fred Frith in All About Jazz (3 May 2010): "Mapping the Further Reaches".
Even if Fred Frith has been in my record collection almost all the time (Robert Wyatt, Henry Cow, Art Bears etc), I realize I´ve seen him live only once", with Lucia Recio at a fantastic concert in Molde (Norway) in 2008. I want him back now, solo, duo or with band, thank you very much.
The video show Cosa Brava, with Fred Frith, Carla Kihlstedt, Zeena Parkins and Matthias Bossi.

2 comments:

alessandro said...

Cosa Brava is actually Frith's best music in the last twenty years (or possibly more), imho. They'll be in Europe from May 24th to June 5th (see http://www.fredfrith.com/concerts.htm). I saw them in Lugano a couple of years ago and they were even better then in their cd. Now I'm longing to see Art Bears Songbook at the Rock in Opposition festival (http://www.rocktime.org/rio/), next September. I know: Art Bears is a studio project, very hard to redo on stage, and Dangmar won't be there etc. ect. but those are among my favourite "songs" ever and I don't want to miss the chance to see them live (I saw them in Milan in 1979 but it was a different thing, including Dagmar and adding Marc Hollander and Peter Blegvad).
All the best

Svenn said...

And he´s coming to Norway too! Thanks.