Thursday, July 22, 2010

Moldejazz Wednesday 21 July


What a day at Moldejazz wednesday! I started early with Peter Brötzmann and Paal Nilssen-Love at Molde's smallest venue. The house was packed and the free jazz gentlemen were really wild! Wild gentlemen, now is that possible? I think so!

The next afternoon concert was at Forum, with the new trio Håvard Wiik, Ken Vandermark and Chad Taylor. After working together in Berlin for a couple of days, they delivered a great set, with both Wiik, Vandermark and Taylor compositions.

Later in the evening Paal Nilssen-Love and Peter Brötzmann were at it again, as members of Hairy Bones. Two games in one day, tell any football player to do that!
Massimo Pupillo is rock steady bass man and Toshinori Kondo adds colour with electric, ethereal trumpet.
Huge amounts of energy here, and (I'm not kidding) Brötzmann even did a split jump!

Around midnight Nils Petter Molvær was on stage with Stian Westerhus (guitar) and Erland Dahlen (drums). Super music, nice light show and a great club audience (except you who chatted all the time, that is). But damn it, I felt so old, tired and sweaty after 60 minutes that I headed back home. My fault. all of it.

It has been raining every day here, and poor Sonny Rollins and Herbie Hancock (among others) have to do outdoor concerts! I stay indoors, thank you very much.

2 comments:

Remiller4 said...

Wait a minute: Brotzmann did a split jump? I can't believe it! The music must have been really wild for that to happen. Hope the concert was recorded!

Svenn said...

Heh heh, I might have pushed it a little bit here, but I swear he was jumping!