Saturday, January 19, 2013

Grateful Dead: Winterland (Rhino 2012)



Any Deadheads visiting? Probably not many I guess.

Let me just tell you that I got hold of "Winterland - May 30th 1971", released for Record Store Day/Black Friday in November 2012. My copy (one of 7500 copies made) has probably been on it´s way to my local record store since then, but finally it arrived.

I have no clue how many live albums the Dead have released, but according to Blair Jackson´s liner notes, this one resembles the double "Grateful Dead" album (aka "Skull & Roses" or "Skullfuck").
"Winterland" has not been released before this, and it´s only on vinyl.

Here are the tracks:

Side One
1. “Sugar Magnolia”
2. “Cumberland Blues”
3. “Big Boss Man”

Side Two
1. “Me And My Uncle”
2. “Deal”
3. “Truckin’”

Side Three
1. “Turn On Your Lovelight”

Side Four
2. “Uncle John’s Band”
3. “Casey Jones”
4. “Johnny B. Goode”

Even if you can´t stand Grateful Dead, you still may enjoy "Deadhead. The Afterlife" by Nick Paumgarten, published in The New Yorker 26 November 2012.

And let´s cite Jerry Garcia from this article: "Our audience is like people who like licorice, not everybody like licorice, but people who like licorice really like licorice".

No comments: