Sunday, August 25, 2013

Maja Ratkje: "Voice" (Rune Grammofon 2002/2013)



Maja Ratkje´s first solo album "Voice" (Rune Grammofon 2002) is now out on vinyl (still available on CD too).

The music was recorded around Oslo, on (citing the cover:) Gemini tape recorder, hard disk, dictaphone, minidisk and different samplers", and was produced by Maja Solveig Kjelstrup Ratkje and Jazzkammer.

This is still a stunning album, it´s fun, beautiful and downright scary. Try the track "Insomnia" on full volume, a guaranteed hair raising experience (if you have hair that is).

I´ll tell you a secret today. When I was a very young man, I used to turn off all the lights in my room, lay down on my back on the floor, and play Pink Floyd´s "Careful with that axe, Eugene" (the track you heard during the explosion in "Zabriske Point"), turning the volume up to eleven.
If I was sure I was going to be able to get up from the floor these days, I might try the same thing with "Insomnia".

Cover: Kim Hiorthøy.

1 comment:

Vanusian said...

i have to agree with your assessment of maja. she does some very interesting things with her life aside from releasing amazing music, e.g. helping children make field recordings at a school that is conducted entirely outside in the woods and fields!! am envious to the point of itching - can't imagine my schooldays entirely outside. the best to you.